Ideas for your trip
Discover the Grand Site of Cirque de Navacelles in a different way
Live the Grand Site experience
The Grand Site de Cirque de Navacelles is an area where, if you take the time to look, listen, or simply feel, you can discover both nature and the local heritage. Local tourist services facilitate visitors to “live” this area through different “real” experiences, enabling people to discover the landscape, shaped by nature and by man over the millennia and now recognised by UNESCO as a world heritage site. They promote a type of tourism that is based on an intimate discovery of the area : looking at the wildlife, the flora, the geology and the cultural and agropastoral heritage : “lavognes”, small animal enclosures and old bread ovens.
How best to explore the area ? On foot, by bike, by donkey or on horseback, by day or by moonlight. Use the signposted paths ; Both children and adults can take the time to discover, in a unique way, this exceptional and delicately balanced site.
The wealth of different experiences will wake up your senses and give you plenty to remember…
Download the document : Ideas for excursions
This is done in partnership with the Grand Sites of France network.
Check out the activities on the other Grand Sites of France : Press release « Réseau des Grands Sites de France »
WALKS FROM NIMES AND MONTPELLIER
Come and discover the nature walks and local heritage in the Grand Site de Navacelles from Nimes and Montpellier.
Invalid Displayed Gallery
Who hasn’t dreamed of escaping to the heart of an exceptional landscape, to re-source for a weekend, without using the car ?
A trip to the countryside at the Grands Sites de France shows you that it is easy to explore and discover the different aspects of these unique areas, peacefully and without relying on your car.
On foot, by bike, or even by boat or steam train…
Live the “Grand Site de France” experience by trying out different trips, tried and tested by Pierre our trip loving “adventurer”.
Pierre’s trip to the Grand Site de Navacelles
Pierre spent 3 days at the Grand Site du Cirque de Navacelles. His excursion by electric bike started in Le Vigan and continued over the Blandas and Larzac Causses, these amazing, immense landscapes registered as a national heritage with UNESCO.
He was able to admire and soak up the views at the 2 site buildings : the “bélvedere de Blandas” and the “belvedere de la Baume Auriol” and also discover diferent aspects of the local heritage (sinkholes, “clapas”(piles of gathered stones), “murets”(low stone walls), “lavognes”(drinking places for animals), fortified wells, dolmens and menhirs)
Pierre also went by foot from the waterfall at the Cirque de Navacelles, along the steep-sided Gorges of the Vis to the la Foux mills found at the resurgence of the Vis. The getaway ended at the Caylar where Pierre handed back his bicycle and took the bus to Montpellier before returning by train to Paris.
By train and bus :
From Montpellier / Lodève :
1. Arrive at the train station Montpellier Saint Roch
3. There you can rent an electric or push bike (or take a taxi) to the Grand Site (see below)
From Nîmes / Le Vigan :
1. Arrive at the train station in Nimes
2. At the bus station take the Edgard D40 bus to Le Vigan and get off at the Chataigniers
3. Carry on your journey by renting an electric or push bike or take a taxi to the Grand Site (see below)
During the sulmmer there is a shuttle bus between Le Vigan and the Belvedere de Blandes or the hamlet Navacelles
By electric bike :
Bike rentals are situated at le Vigan and the Caylar (see “Discover the Grand Site de Navacelles without a car” below)
By plane :
– Montpellier Méditerranée airport : http://www.montpellier.aeroport.fr
– Nîmes airport : Ales-Camargue-Cevennes : http://www.aeroport-nimes.fr
Car sharing :
– Bla Bla Car : http://www.covoiturage.fr
– Vadrouille covoiturage : http://www.vadrouille-covoiturage.com
– Covoiturage libre : http://www.covoiturage-libre.fr
By taxi :
Renting through individuals :
A selection of unmissable sites at the Grand Site du Cirque de Navacelles are suggested below :
– Journey through time as you discover the megaliths on the Southern Causses (dolmens, menhirs et cromlechs).
– Visit the amazing resurgence of the Vis, as it emerges from its underground journey in the entrails of the Causse at the old Moulins (mills) de la Foux.
– Numerous viewing points enable you to contemplate the landscapes and open spaces of the Causse.
– Be tempted by a tasting of local products at the site buildings : the Belvedere of Blandas and the Belvedere of the Baume Auriol or buy your products directly from the producer (wine cellars at the Vacquerie, goats’ cheese “pelardon” at Vissec etc.)
– Historic sites, like the old fortified farm at la Prunarede, a renovated seventeenth century building, the ruins of the old priory of Saint Martin de Castries, fortified wells of Saint-Michel-d’Alajou, the Roc Castel at le Caylar, the old wind mill at Saint-Pierre-de-la -Fage.
Invalid Displayed Gallery
By electric bike :
Thanks to Marti and Xavier you can rent a bike in Le Vigan and leave it in le Caylar, and vice versa from le Caylar to le Vigan.
From le Vigan contact Marti CASTELANO
«Cigale Aventure » 09 80 36 37 84 – http://www.cigaleaventure.com/ / Contact@cigaleaventure.com
From le Caylar contact Xavier CHABANNE
« L’école Buissonnière » 04 67 44 58 35 – http://www.randolarzac.com/ Randolarzac@gmail.com
On foot :
Set off from the three Meridional Causses with a donkey or on horse back, alone or with an experienced guide,
Blandas Causse :
« Causses et Lamas »
04 67 81 52 77 / 06 13 15 72 09 – www.causseetlamas.com
« Cavalquinta »
06 24 66 23 66 – http://www.caval-quinta.fr/
Causse du Larzac :
« Sherp’âne »
04 67 44 68 99 – http://www.sherpanes.com/
« Ser’âne »
04 67 73 13 26 – http://www.ser-ane.com/
« Élevage Seranne Larzac »
06 81 62 50 35 / 04 67 44 63 45 http://serannelarzac.fr
« Équi-Larzac »
06 18 88 53 07 – http://equilarzac.ffe.com/
« Rênes longues »
06 08 54 76 27 – http://www.reneslongues.fr/
Campestre and Luc Causse :
« Les Magettes »
04 67 82 02 31 – http://www.lesmagettes.com/
Lodgings “bed and breakfast and evening meals, yurts” :
« Nomad Elze »
06 84 10 88 09 – http://www.nomad-elze.com/yourtes.html
« L’Oustal del Passejaire »
04 67 13 25 92 – http://chambres-hotes-navacelles.com/
« l’Auberge du Causse » http://www.auberge-du-causse-de-blandas.com
« le belvédère de Blandas » maison de site du Grand Site du Cirque de Navacelles http://www.lerelaisducirque.fr
« le belvédère de la Baume Auriol » maison de site du Grand Site du Cirque de Navacelles http://www.tourisme-lodevois-larzac.com
« Les Tilleuls » https://plus.google.com/107668381296514948098/about?gl=fr&hl=fr
Other places to stay and restaurants : Interactiv map
The Joint Association of the Grand Site of the Cirque de Navacelles in partnership with the Grand Sites of France network.